March 11, 2012

Japanese Tea



 Japanese Tea 11X14

To follow the progression in some of my work I thought it might be interesting to see a few stages of my
development of a painting.  I always start my work with a value painting.  Sometimes it takes the form of a grisaille with grays and other times I used a very watered down mixture of ultramaine blue and a burnt sienna. I start with my darks first and then work in my medium values.  At this time I should take a break and come back to my canvas later and see if I am still happy with my composition and also see if I have rendered my still life correctly.  Usually I am so excited and can't wait to paint. This leads to more corrections as I move ahead.  Fortunately my oil paints are very forgiving!   I bought this lovely vase during one of my travels and love the warm green/gold color it presents in the still life.  I have called this work Japanese Tea.

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to see the progression photos. I love the glass bottles in the finished work - seeing the cloth through them. The leaves are such a unique color too, you can tell immediately that they are eucalyptus. Looks like you've been having fun painting since returning home. K+T

    ReplyDelete